Homecoming Traditions: Then and Now

The PHS Connected Staff has access to many of PHS’s old yearbooks and school newspapers, including the year 1993. While exploring this paper we found their coverage of Homecoming week and wanted to share our findings with you to give you an idea of the change and patterns in Homecoming traditions then and now:

We’ll start off with a favorite, toga day. Every year on Thursday for class distinction day the seniors get the pleasure of roaming the halls like Egyptian royalty in their togas. Believe it or not this tradition is a classic. Even back in 1993 the seniors spent their Thursday the same way our seniors do now. Toga day is one tradition that has been around for a while and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Another classic that has been around since 1993 is the beloved Homecoming parade. The 1993 newspaper shared these images of the varsity football team in their float, the pom squad riding in a firetruck, and that year’s winner of the float building competition, the Juniors. They used an Egyptian motif and purple and gold to represent the theme, Mardi Gras.

The next Homecoming tradition may be a little surprising. Before the big game on Friday night, Pinckney students used to gather in the High School (Pathfinder’s) parking lot for a giant bonfire. The bonfire happened after the parade but before the football game, beginning at 7 and lasting until the game started at 7:30. All students were encouraged to come and show their school spirit by attending the bonfire and then cheering on the team at the Homecoming game afterwards.

Another new change is the way that we honor students on Homecoming. In 1993 Pinckney still used a court system with one female being crowned as Homecoming Queen. Now we have a Pirate Crew where three people who best represent our school values are honored and one is selected as the Captain.

1993’s Homecoming Queen, Dana White, being crowned by the previous year’s winner.

While many Homecoming traditions come and go, some changes are received positively and some are not as widely accepted by the student body.  Even with these changes and learning to accept them it’s important to remember that the whole point of Homecoming is to come together as a community and celebrate our school and all that we are as Pirates.