Pinckney Students Participate in the Global Climate Strike

Mia+Litzenberg+participating+in+the+Global+Climate+Strike+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mia Litzenberg participating in the Global Climate Strike

At 11 am on Friday, September 20th people from all over Washtenaw County walked out of their homes, schools, and businesses in solidarity to join the Global Climate Strike and demand action be taken to combat this environmental emergency. Last year an estimated 2,500-3,000 people turned up for the event and this years numbers were strikingly higher. An estimated 7,500 people showed up at Ingall’s Mall for the event.

Washtenaw County wasn’t alone. According to Greta Thurnburg, one of the leading figures of the movement, more than 4,638 youth climate strikes took place in more than 139 nations.

Senior Nick Hanshue also joined in on the event. He said he learned about the cause through social media and got more involved with the help of his neighbors, who are environmental professors at the University of Michigan. Nick went to Ingall’s Mall to help run the event. Nick set up, helped with take down/clean up, and worked as a marshal during the event.

“The main goal was for governments and politicians to actually implement policies that will help to make a change for our environment,” Hanshue said. “It’s all about making a change.”

Mia Litzenberg, a Pinckney sophomore, also got involved to promote environmental change. She went to Ingall’s Mall to be a part of the event. She even carried a sign that said “It’s getting hot in here so take off all your coals” to show her support.

If you want to get involved or learn more about environmental issues, contact Piper Brady or Mrs. Chapman for information on the PHS Environmental Club.