PHS Connected

Filed under Student Life

An hour at Biggby

Back to Article
Back to Article

An hour at Biggby

The local Biggby is small and fairly empty, but still packed with energy. The first thing that hits you when you open the door is the smell of delicious coffee. Within seconds after smelling it you’re greeted with the friendly barista’s “Hi! Welcome to Biggby, how are you doing today?”

As you walk through the building up to the counter to order, the choices on the menu board are overwhelming.  After you make your decision, before you can even pay, your drink is already in the process of being made and within a few minutes it’s sitting on the counter for you to take. Once you grab it, sit down and take a sip, the taste of the bitter coffee is masked by the sugary syrups. You realize how much is actually going on in this small store.

Amidst the Christmas decorations that are still up despite the fact that it’s January, a man sits in the corner with his headphones in and his laptop out, typing away. The staff chatters away at the counter bouncing from topic to topic, so fast it’s hard to keep up. They talk about their day, what time they get off work, what they did over the weekend, how they don’t want to go back to school on Monday, and much much more. Other than that not much goes on until someone walks in the door.

As soon as the door opens, the bell rings followed by the “Hi! Welcome to Biggby, how are you today?” greeting. A couple walks through the door holding hands and laughing. They walk up to the counter and place their order: a mint mocha latte and a peppermint stick latte. They pay then walk over to the other side of the counter to wait for their drinks. After their order is up they grab it and walk out, leaving again just the baristas behind the counter and the man in the corner with his laptop.

A few people come through the drive-through and interrupt the baristas conversation with an order. The workers take the order, make it, hand it through the window, and get back to their conversation just as quickly as it stopped.

The light chatter from behind the counter continues long after the man in the corner gets up, packs up his bag, and heads out the door. And with an exit comes the same ringing bell followed by a  friendly voice saying “have a great night” as the door closes.

About the Writer
Karly Blaszkowski, Staff

Karly is a junior at Pinckney Community High School. She is on the varsity volleyball team and also plays club volleyball year round. In the rare occasion...