PHS Connected

Filed under Student Life

Students run Academic Award Ceremony

On November 30th the sophomores and the seniors took their advisory time to congratulate the students who earned a 3.5 GPA or higher for two consecutive semesters.

Sophomores Karsyn Carriveau, Kallia Carlson, Marissa Wolschleger, Olivia Ohmer, Bailey Whitney, and Rylea Mougrabi planned and presents the Sophomore Academic Awards Ceremony. Seniors Hailey Roberts, Reece Ohmer, Courtney Jarema, Megan Black, Raegan Palkowski, and Alex Daniels planned and presented the Senior Academic Awards Ceremony.

The students who planned the ceremonies took a week to write a script and practice names. At the end of the week the students ran the program that all students in the corresponding grade and their parents were asked to attend.

The sophomores worried a bit more, this being their first time running such an event. The senior class ran the program last year.

“I’m sure the senior ceremony went much smoother,” sophomore Bailey Whitney said. “It was a fun opportunity though and I know next year will run smoother!”

The students told the audience about what would happen during the ceremony, recognized the administration, and then had a guest speaker, Mr. Ozias. After Mr. Ozias’ speech, the students called the names of the recipients, and gave out academic letters, silver pins, or gold pins. Sophomore Annabelle Sharp sang the National Anthem at both ceremonies.

Students honored for their academic achievement of a 3.5 GPA for two consecutive semesters earned a letter with an embroidered lamp of learning.

When students earn a 3.5 GPA the next two consecutive semesters they receive a silver pin. When they earn a 3.5 GPA for an additional two consecutive semesters, they receive a gold pin. Then when they earn a 3.5 or higher for their final two consecutive semesters, they are recognized with a paperweight.

Juniors will receive their awards Friday, December 14th during advisory.

“I think that it’s good to recognize what we as students have achieved,” sophomore Marissa Wolschleger said. “I do wish that it was held after school though, it’s a special thing to earn and having it during school made it feel less special.”

About the Writer
Karsyn Carriveau, Contributor

Karsyn Carriveau is a sophomore at Pinckney High School, who started writing for PHS Connected after an interest for journalism sparked. She is President...

Website Apps
Students run Academic Award Ceremony