PHS Connected

Filed under Column

Stench in the hallway disturbs students

Ms.+Renton+reacts+to+the+locker+where+the+food+was+left.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Stench in the hallway disturbs students

Ms. Renton reacts to the locker where the food was left.

Last year the freshman class and teachers were victims of a horrible incident. A smell took over freshman hall when a classmate left food in their locker for over three months. The incident has left a lasting impression on everyone who suffered from the event.

Students and staff heard different reports of what had happened. The source of the smell was a container of chili that a student had forgotten in their locker for three months. It was around April when the weather was starting to heat up and the air conditioning in the building wasn’t on yet.

Mrs. Renton stood in the hallway to greet the kids and started smelling something “stinky”, she proceeded to ask the students what was the source. After no students came forward she called Ms. Judy, the custodian, to get to the bottom of it.

The source was soon found and Judy pulled out the container, worsening the smell causing students to gag. “I thought for sure that something had died up above in the ceiling,” English teacher Mrs. Renton said. “It smelled like in the summertime when there’s roadkill on the side of the road, and it rots all up and you go by it and you have to hold your breath. It was about 70 thousand times worse than that.”

The bag that the container was in was left in the locker, causing the smell to linger for almost a week. “It just smelled like death,” Karsyn Carriveau said. “If you make chicken and then you throw it away and then it’s in your garbage can for a day it smells. It’s like that times 10.”

The students had enough and soon tried to mask the stench with Axe and perfume. Their efforts lasted for only a minute before the smell of the chili and the smell of the Axe were separate but both present. “The Axe mixed with it was gaggy for me and smells don’t usually bother me. It was bad,” Mrs. Renton said.

“Please clean your locker! That’s all I have to say,” Drake Donahey said. If there’s a message to learn from this, it’s keep your locker clean and don’t forget about food that is left in it!

About the Writer
Evelyn Trumpey, Writer

Evelyn is a junior at PHS. She loves playing field hockey, eating spicy food, and people watching. You can find her reading a big book or obsessing over...

Website Apps
Stench in the hallway disturbs students