Students against Wi-Fi filters

As a district, Pinckney uses a web filter to protect students from inappropriate websites and apps, but the filter is proving to do more harm than good.

“When I was writing my I-search paper, I was watching a video on running一not anything bad一and it was blocked, so I had to go to the media center so that Mr. Fowler would unblock it,” junior Mia Garcia said. Garcia noted that this process to unblock YouTube videos was lengthy and that it hindered her research because she had to go back three times. She wishes that the school would not block her from clearly appropriate videos that she needs for her research.

Molly Bolang had a similar experience this semester in government class. “We had to do an online activity at home because it was blocked on the school’s Wi-Fi,” Bolang said. She explained that Mr. Clary had to switch around his whole lesson because his students could not access the assignment that he had assigned for them. Because the in-class assignment couldn’t be done at school, lots of class time was wasted on other things, which messed with the agenda for the whole week.

Another student, Solana Kelly also thinks that these filters are annoying and too sensitive. “I tried to get to Mrs. Kent’s website, literally the other day, and it said that I couldn’t access the website. It’s Mrs. Kent’s website what could possibly be wrong with that?!” Kelly said. The reason that the website is blocked is that it is run through a blog creator, which can be categorized as adult, or mature.

“For my Applied Economics class, we are planning on ordering blankets to sell to the community, but the website is blocked. Every time I need to get to the website, I have to use my data so that the class can see what we are going to order,” Danielle Hunter said. Hunter explained that the website is completely clean and professional, and there is no reason that it should be blocked on our school’s wifi. She, along with many other students, has a limited cellular data plan, and would rather be using that data elsewhere, not in school where we actually have a wireless network.