PHS Connected

Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Last years t-shirt.

Last years t-shirt.

Last years t-shirt.

Last years t-shirt.

The time for Camp Skyline has come again. From November 9th-11th sophomores, juniors, and seniors will be attending a communication retreat to build bonds between a variety of PHS students and staff.

Camp Skyline focuses on bringing groups of students together who might not generally interact with one another at school. 30 boys and 30 girls attend the camp. The students and staff participate in a number of activities to develop leadership and friendships.

“It’s meant to build a more positive culture within the school,” Geometry teacher Jennifer Kent said. “It started 22 years ago when the staff were working to improve the culture of the school and encourage students to listen to each other even if they’re not best friends at school to at least respect each other.”

Kent is one of the staff members who helps run Camp Skyline, and she has participated every year since she started working at Pinckney High School.

Last years t-shirt.

The students who get asked are all considered leaders in their classrooms or clubs. Teachers nominate students; all the students that were nominated receive applications. The PPI students go through these applications and pick students from the different groups to attend the camp.

“We look for those leaders to be nominated and then out of the students who are nominated, those who apply we work very carefully to chose 30 boys and 30 girls who well represent sophomores, juniors, and seniors,” Kent said. “We want to bring a sampling of everything which is why you’ll find out best friends typically don’t go together. We want to encourage students to reach out to people they aren’t already close to.”

The students waited patiently for a couple of weeks while the applications were being considered. Now that the students have received acceptance letters the spirits are high.

“My brother went and he said it was really fun and that I should try to go!” sophomore Bailey Whitney said. “I think it will be a good experience and I know I’ll walk away from it with something good to share.”

The students are waiting eagerly for the three weeks to pass and to finally be at Camp Skyline. The school is excited to hear what the students and staff have to share from their experience.

“The biggest thing we want people to know is that it has made a difference. 22 years and the staff that has been here the whole time, or over a significant portion of those years all speak to the changes and the culture that have happened since 1996, when it started,” Kent said. “They see the positive impact, and so for those students who are new or staff who is new to really appreciate that it has a very long term effect and we’re hoping to continue to improve it in the coming years.”

• Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Clubs and Organizations

WOW candy grams

• Clubs and Organizations

Fighting Pirate Marching Band says farewell to it’s Seniors

• Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Clubs and Organizations

Pinckney High School Students Help With Big Brothers Big Sisters

• Clubs and Organizations

Forensic classes investigate crime scene

• Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Clubs and Organizations

Pinckney Marching Band Receives New Uniforms

• Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Clubs and Organizations

Act 2’s Penny Pincher – The Twilight Zone

• Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Clubs and Organizations

You Can’t Handle the Truth

• Camp Skyline: Making a Difference

Column

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…or is it?

• News Brief

Ray makes the cut in swim and dives season opener

• Column

Easy, affordable, holiday treats

Website Apps
Camp Skyline: Making a Difference