PHS Connected

Act 2’s Penny Pincher – The Twilight Zone

On Friday, October 5th, the high school Act 2 Theatre Company put on their annual season-starter show in the high school theatre, better known as the ‘Penny Pincher’. This year, their production was The Real Life Twilight Zone, featuring the episodes “A Stop At Willoughby,” a story of a young man trying to find his place in the world, and “The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street,” which is an episode that focuses on how deadly human nature can be.

Rehearsals for the Penny Pincher started in the first week of school, and auditions and casting were done last May. The show was directed by Student Director McKenna Haas, who also directed one of the mini-shows featured in last year’s Experimental Theatre Project.

I was in Legally Blonde in my freshman year, and from there I fell in love with Act 2. After that, I took drama and found myself directing people in lots of our projects, and I really liked it. From there, I decided to direct an ETP and take the leap to something bigger,” student director McKenna Haas said. “My favorite thing about Penny Pinchers though, is that it makes a lot of money for the company, and it’s still just as serious and just as much fun as a main-stage production.”

Act 2’s Penny Pincher show is an annual fundraiser to kick off the new season, and it puts some money into the account to prepare for the upcoming main-stage productions. The company doesn’t spend any additional money or resources on the Penny Pinchers, so every dollar made from it goes right back into the account. On top of earning the company some money, the Penny Pincher gives the company a fresh start to a new season.

“[The start of] Penny Pinchers came out of The Real-Live Brady Bunch, which we did in between shows because we had a long time [in between shows] a couple of years ago. The next year we didn’t do one, and everyone was like ‘why didn’t we do one?!’ so we thought we could get it going right when school started and hit the ground running,” Mr. Roy, who describes himself as Act 2’s ‘Mayhem Manager,’ said. “[My favorite thing about Penny Pinchers is that] I love how much everybody is into it. It’s supposed to be low-stress, but everybody is highly excited about doing it. Since it’s not a main stage show, people are more ‘let’s just have some fun,’- it’s always a lot of fun.”

Mark your calendars for Act 2’s upcoming productions of A Few Good Men this November, High School Musical, and the annual Experimental Theatre Project in the spring. A Few Good Men will be showing in the theatre on November 9th, 10th, 16th, 17th, and 18th. Act 2 holds General Membership meetings every Tuesday after school in the drama room. For more information on their upcoming shows or getting involved with the company visit their website and social media profiles at http://pchsact2.weebly.com/

“The things I’m looking forward to this year are having another great season, going to festival, and seeing all of the new people on stage,” Mr. Roy said. “The performing arts at Pinckney High School are strong. We kill!”

About the Writers
Shae Eckles, Writer

Shae Eckles is a sophomore at Pinckney High School, and she is very excited to be on the PHS Connected staff. In her free time, she draws and paints, plays the Alto saxophone, is very involved with theatre, and watches a little too much of The Office. She is a member of Act 2 Theatre Company, The Pinckney Fighting Pirate Marching Band, and The Jazz Rats, which she loves with all of her heart. Last but not least, she really loves pumpkin spice lattes.

Riley Lange, Writer

Riley is a sophomore at Pinckney High School. She is on the Varsity swim team and archery team. In her free time, Riley enjoys photography, hiking, and reading. She also hopes that John Krasinski has a beautiful day.

Diana Beasley, Writer

Diana Beasley is a sophomore at Pinckney Community High school, and is super excited to be be part of the PHS Connected staff. She likes to draw, paint, and listen to music in her spare time. Her favorite show is The Office and her favorite bands/groups are Seventeen and Loona (Stan Loona!).

• Act 2’s Penny Pincher – The Twilight Zone

Clubs and Organizations

Pinckney High School Students Help With Big Brothers Big Sisters

• Clubs and Organizations

Forensic classes investigate crime scene

Clubs and Organizations

Pinckney Marching Band Receives New Uniforms

Clubs and Organizations

You Can’t Handle the Truth

Clubs and Organizations

Earth Without Art is just “Eh”

• Clubs and Organizations

Track Meet Rescheduled

• News

Humanities Class Visits Toledo Art Museum

Clubs and Organizations

Editorials

The Video Games You Played as a Kid, but Twenty-Six Years Later

Clubs and Organizations

Website Apps