PHS Connected

Filed under Sports

Varsity volleyball celebrates its seniors

The varsity volleyball team held their annual Senior Night last Thursday during their home game against Lincoln.

The night is emotional for parents, players, coaches, and spectators alike. This year was no exception. From looking at picture boards of the senior’s lives to the heartfelt speeches given before the match, everyone in attendance was touched by the obvious bond the girls have with each other and the realization that the team will lose three of its members at the end of the season.

“I was so touched by Elise’s speech, it was so nice!” senior Calista Shannon said. “I will miss her so much!”

However, the team didn’t let all the buzz and celebrating of the night get in the way of their goal: securing another conference win against Lincoln. The Pirates started out strong winning the first 2 sets. Lincoln came back and was able to win the third set, but the Pirates didn’t give up. They gained the fire they needed to win the fourth set and take the match 3-1, securing the third place spot in the SCC White Conference.

“My favorite part of the night was winning against Lincoln and seeing the great turnout,” senior Kate Kerns said. “I am really going to miss playing with my team as a Pinckney athlete.”

That seemed to be a common theme of the night, with senior Katie Hayner also expressing her feelings towards the future.

“I’m going to miss the people on the team the most,” Hayner said. “But the friendships that I’ve made aren’t going to go away anytime soon, it’s just going to be hard to walk away from such a strong team.”

About the Writer
Karly Blaszkowski, Staff

Karly is a junior at Pinckney Community High School. She is on the varsity volleyball team and also plays club volleyball year round. In the rare occasion she isn’t at volleyball, she loves spending time with her family and friends. She enjoys taking photos of anything and everything, especially nature and people. This is her first year on the PHS Connected staff, and she’s very excited to share on the site.

Website Apps