PHS Connected

Mrs.McCarthy’s retirement from Pinckney Community High School isn’t the end of her educating students

Lance Reynolds & Sean McGuire, Staff Writer

After 30 years teaching at Pinckney Community High School, Laura McCarthy is retiring. McCarthy teaches French 1 through 4 as well as PPI, which stands for positive peer influence, but  predominantly she teaches freshman and sophomore English classes. McCarthy was inspired to teach these classes from early grade school English and French classes.

“With French, I loved the whole idea of the culture and immersing students in the culture,” McCarthy said, “and with language arts, I love how with everything we read is full of life lessons.”

McCarthy’s PPI class helps students feel more comfortable around school, as well as at home. The peer mediation class allows students who are struggling with personal problems to talk to other students to help solve the problem, or make the situation more comfortable for him/her. 

“It empowers students to help students,” McCarthy said, “quite often, students are more apt to go to another student for some input, rather than an adult.”

Mrs. McCarthy is retiring because she wants to travel and read more, as well as spend time with her family. She believes the timing is right because her daughter lives in North Carolina and her son is looking to move to New York. McCarthy wants to have the opportunity to visit them and, if needed, help them. Although McCarthy is retiring, she does have mixed feelings about it. She doesn’t want to leave education when she’s tired and annoyed by it, but she’s been looking into becoming an admissions counselor.

“I can go into high schools and do visitations and little presentations to help them transition into life because I know I’m going to miss working with high school students,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy’s main inspiration for becoming a teacher was her enjoyment of babysitting. Once she began studying French, it pushed her to pursue secondary education.

“I feel like I’m generally energetic, and I just like to see people learn,” McCarthy said.

When asked what she learned from working at PHS, she said that the high school has definitely made her more empathetic. McCarthy tries to look at and understand situations from both student and staff perspectives.

“I like to think that it has opened my eyes and made me more compassionate and empathetic,”McCarthy said.