PHS Connected

The Pirate Regatta Sharks

The Sharks in the pool before the races begin.

Courtney Jarema

Courtney Jarema

When people think of the Pirate Regatta, most think of the freshmen sinking in their cardboard boats, not the six students in their bright yellow shirts who help clean up the sunken and disintegrated boats. These six students are known as the Sharks and this year upperclassmen Allie Hartstang, Lexi Zettel, Hannah Chenevert, Madasyn Justice, James Roush and Jana Hummel are taking on the role.

“I was a Shark this year because I had fun at my regatta and wanted to help out,” James Roush said.

For around five hours the Sharks help the students and their boats out of the water. One of the best moments is when the boats do not finish their race in time.

“If people go over the time limit we get to flip their boats and that is always so much fun,” Lexi Zettel said.

Additionally, after all the races are over the Sharks stay in the water to help clean up the leftover debris from the boats.

“This year there was a lot of clean up,” Jana Hummel said. “At the end, Mr. Reason and I counted to see how many boats finished and only 40% did which means that 60% of the boats fell apart in the pool.”

Watching all of the freshmen brings back a sense of nostalgia for the upperclassmen. Having done this same project two or three years ago brings up old feelings and emotions.

“It was an amazing feeling to see that these kids are still able to do the same thing I did and to see how creative some of them were,” Hummel said.

Unfortunately, for the seniors, this is their last time participating in the regatta, but the juniors still have another year to help out at this fun and elaborate event.

“I plan on being a Shark again next year because it is fun to see all of the awesome and creative boats,” Madasyn Justice said.

About the Contributors
Cierra Szalony, Staff Writer

Cierra Szalony is a junior who joined Yearbook and found an interest in Journalism. Her interest in joining Yearbook and Journalism sparked when she was asked to help take pictures of the Girl’s and Boy’s Swim and Dive team. Currently, Cierra covers the Junior Varsity Softball team. Cierra is passionate about New Technology High and advertises the program whenever possible.

Courtney Jarema, Staff Writer

Courtney Jarema is a junior who covers Spanish Honors Society and the boy’s golf team. In the future, she hopes to be involved in photojournalism and writing reviews. Other than writing for PHS Connected, Courtney enjoys writing essays in school and journaling daily. She runs cross country and track, but she would rather spend her time hiking and doing yoga. In her free time, she watches Friends, reads, attends youth group, and babysits. Although Courtney has considered studying journalism in college, she is more focused on becoming an elementary teacher and her dream is to attend college in Hawaii.

• News

Humanities Class Visits Toledo Art Museum

• Student Life

FALLing for Fashion

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Clubs and Organizations

Pinckney Marching Band Receives New Uniforms

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

News

Spirit Week 2K18

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Clubs and Organizations

Act 2’s Penny Pincher – The Twilight Zone

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Clubs and Organizations

You Can’t Handle the Truth

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Showcase

Homecoming Dance 2018

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Showcase

Hoco? More like Squad Goal

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Student Life

Class Council Brings Back Sophomore School Spirit

• The Pirate Regatta Sharks

Student Life

Freshman’s First Spirt Week

Website Apps
The Pirate Regatta Sharks