PHS Connected

New Tech takes a look at the world through the DIA

Students embracing the DIA architecture.

Cierra Szalony

Cierra Szalony

Cierra Szalony, Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 25, New Tech sophomores, juniors, and seniors traveled to the Detroit Institute of Arts with the driving question of how might the community in which we live impact our view of the world?

“Our community and how we were raised impacts nearly everything we see,” Matt Turner said. “It involves our knowledge, our perspectives, out political stances, which means our perspective can be influenced by almost anything we do.”

The trip, acting as an Advisory, had another purpose: increase cross-grade interaction within the New Tech community and to have students think about something that is compelling and relevant. Once the students arrived at the museum, they split into groups of three or four and walked through the museum, taking the time to embrace the art.

“I think this was a good Advisory because it was not only fun, but it also has real-life thinking connected to it with the main theme that we could take home with us and assess,” Matt Turner said.

The New Tech Staff has been working hard this year to improve the program. A part of doing this involves beginning yearly rituals, such as field trips, that can be combined with the current curriculum being taught in class, or field trips that help the students better prepare themselves for the real world, such as college or corporation visits.

“Mrs. Walker and I, as part of our ongoing planning work around Advisory, are in the beginning stages of articulating a 3-year college visit cycle, involving students going to a different university each year, as well as annual New Tech High-wide field trips, possibly a similar 3-year cycle,” New Tech Director Mrs. McBride said.

Having out-of-school experiences enhances the students learning, and it also works into the New Tech learning process of integrated curriculum and real-world experiences.

“The trip allows us to have a common thread across everyone’s discipline so it fits well with curriculum integration,” New Tech English teacher Mrs. Walker said. “The culture represented at the DIA is about as real world as it gets and it could easily become a variety of projects in any classroom.”

Many students enjoyed the atmosphere of the museum, and hope that the trend of field trips continues.

“I think this can definitely be put further, however, in terms of harder career research and studying different professions,” Madison Dehir said. “Large corporation would be amazing. But just de-stressing wise this is perfect.”