PHS Connected

Liz Wawrzyniak reflects on Senior Night

Photographer Samantha White
“We <3 Seniors” posters made by underclassmen girls for Senior Night.

On April 24, Pinckney Track and Field had their Senior Night. It is the final home meet for the season, and with it comes many bittersweet memories for the seniors. Senior Liz Wawrzyniak, hurdler and Varsity discus member, shared some of her reflections both as an athlete and a student that this night brought her.

Photographer Sandra White
Senior Track and Field Girls pose for parents and coaches alike on Senior Night. Liz Wawrzyniak farthest on right in front row.

Wawrzyniak has been running for six years. In fact, her whole family runs. She started doing hurdles and discus in the past two to three years. “Coach Shelters put me in it and that’s how I started,” Wawrzyniak said.

Despite having only started it in the past three years, her favorite event is the 100M Hurdles. It is one of the events she did during the meet. “Mostly I think I like not falling,” Wawrzyniak said. “It’s just fun to me.”

Wawrzyniak feels sad about the night. This is her second Senior Night, as she also plays basketball. “This is the last one,” Wawrzyniak

Photographer Samantha White
The track is decked out in Pirate colors in commemoration of the Seniors.

said.

During high school, Wawrzyniak finds that she has grown not only as an athlete, but as a person. “I’ve grown stronger mentally,” Wawrzyniak said.

After high school, Wawrzyniak will attend Central Michigan University. Majoring in meteorology with a minor in Broadcasting, she plans on becoming a weather girl. “I used to be afraid of storms when I was little,” Wawrzyniak said. “Now, I am fascinated by them.”

Wawrzyniak is excited to begin the next chapter of her life at Central.  Before she does, there is something she would like to encourage underclassmen to do. “Take lots of pictures,” Wawrzyniak said. “I haven’t taken nearly enough pictures.”

Although there are no more home meets, there is still time to see the seniors this season. The Pirates will compete in the Brighton Bulldog Invitational at Brighton High School on Saturday April, 28 at 9:30 a.m. All are welcome to come watch.

About the Contributor
Samantha White, Staff Writer

Samantha White is a Senior at Pinckney Community High School. She is currently a part of Student Leading Students (SLS) (formerly It Stops with Students), Women’s Throwing, Act2 Theater Troupe, National Honors Society and LACASA Teen Advisory Council (TAC). This is her first year on the newspaper, but she has been published before in the America’s Library of Poetry Student Contest ( every year 2013-2018). For PHS Connected, she covers Women’s Throwing. Next year, she will be attending Kalamazoo College. For more information, you can follow her on Instagram @samantha_the_genius or on Tumblr @hereicometoruineverything.

Website Apps
Liz Wawrzyniak reflects on Senior Night